The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Black Bean Burgers

I was afraid of this recipe.

I had it on my list to make for several months, and just never got around to it.

The idea of cooking vegetarian appeals to me. Besides the fact that we have a guest at our home 2-3 times a month who is vegetarian, it's better for the environment than eating meat, less expensive and in general, healthier.

But still, some recipes just scare me. It was outside my comfort zone. Like tofu, which also took me a few months to get around to (but was really good once I took the plunge and cooked it).

I should not have been such a wimp, because if I'd made this a few months ago, we could have been eating it that much longer. It was AWESOME!

Everyone loved it -- including the veggie.  What a pain. But he is good for expanding my recipe box, and that's what my year is supposed to be about.

The recipe came from Six O'Clock Scramble. This is the tripled version, as it makes enough for two dinners for our family.  We shape all the burgers, then cook half and freeze the other half.  Defrost in the fridge during the day, then cook as directed.  For the original, see Aviva's first book The Six O'Clock Scramble: Quick, Healthy, and Delicious Dinner Recipes for Busy Families . We had it with garlic-sauteed green beans (from our own plants- how cool is that?!) and broccoli slaw.

Black Bean Burgers
3 cans black beans (rinsed)
3 Tbsp salsa (or substitute tomato paste)
1 cup minced onion, about 1/2 of an onion
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano -- crushed
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cornmeal
3 Tbsp vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork or potato masher.  You want a coarse texture, not a puree.  To this, add all the remaining ingredients except for cornmeal and oil.  Mix well.

2. Place the cornmeal in a shallow bowl or plate.  Scoop up the mixture with a 1/3 cup measure (or use an ice cream scoop), forming gently into patties.  Coat each side of the patty in the cornmeal, then set aside.

3. Heat oil in a non-stick plan over medium heat.  Place patties gently in oil, and fry until the cornmeal turns golden brown.  Drain on a paper towel, and serve with hamburger accoutrements (buns, tomato slices, lettuce, etc).  Or do as we do and just eat them plain, and fast, before someone takes your portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment