The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

PB &J Chicken

My kids don't eat a lot of kid food.  From the time they were first eating solids, I tried to feed them things that didn't come from neat little jars.  Sure, those jars are easy, but billions of people the world over manage to raise children without them, feeding the little people the same food the big people eat.  Even today, we eschew chicken nuggets and fish sticks, preferring to serve the kids roasted chicken and salmon burgers.

It's an interesting transition... talking about what my kids ate as babies to PB&J Chicken, right?  Because my kids will eat Hoisin Chicken, Garlic Chicken,  Chicken with Pesto Sauce.... any manner of 'adult food'.  Why make something so seemingly kid-centric?

The real reason....  because I wanted it!

I love PB&J, and this seemed like a wonderful way to indulge my taste preferences. The rest of the family could come along for the ride.

This recipe came from here.  Unlike the Rachael Ray categories, I didn't have grape jelly on hand.  so I first made the recipe with homemade blackberry jam, but found that it didn't bring the 'sweet' vibe that the recipe needs.  The second time I made it I used the classic gelatinous grape jelly, and it was an improvement.  Also, I used Skippy Peanut Butter, which isn't 'natural' but is well liked by my family.   In preparing the marinade, use a whisk to break up the peanut butter (I use  this flat one).  Unless your peanut butter is really salty, make sure you add the extra salt.  Lastly, I used skinless drumsticks-- wings are too much work for too little meat!
Chicken drumsticks lounging in a PB&J bath

As prepared with the notes above, one of my kids declared this was 'the best recipe EVER!' as he ate three drumsticks. He says that about once a month, and I smile proudly every time.
Sticky, meet Yummy.  Yummy, meet Sticky.  Now smile!

Next time, Mr. Unwired will grill these little darlings.  The direct heat  on the grape jelly will either burn them to a crisp or, if watched carefully, caramelize nicely. Either way, post your comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Tried the grill method last week. Mr. Unwired was late home, so I put them in the oven for 20 minutes, and he finished them on the grill. EXACTLY what the recipe needed. Very good in the oven, great on the grill!

    ReplyDelete