The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Zucchini Muffins

If it's summer, it must be Zucchini Muffins!  I got 4 huge ones from Washingtons Green Grocer, who deliver fresh produce to my doorstep year round.  Since signing up for their service, we eat a greater variety of fresh fruits and veggies, and there's always have something fresh in the house.  If you're in the DC area, give them a try!

Most of my baked goods have nuts for added protein and stick-to-your-ribs-nitude.  I add the chocolate chips as an lure to get the kids interested.  If you have allergies in the home or choose to abstain from nuts or chocolate, try raisins.

Zucchini Muffins
Adapted from Jane Brody's Good Food Book, from 1985.  My mother gifted me a copy in my 20s when I first started to express an interest in cooking.  1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp water are a substitute for an egg white (I can never find a good use for the yolk).  Make 12.

3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice (or substitute nutmeg)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp water
1 large egg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/4 cup grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or use extra walnuts)

1. Heat oven to 350F.  In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder/soda and spices).  Mix well and set aside.

2. In a second bowl, mix together oil, water, egg, butter and vanilla.  Add in zucchini, and mix well.

3. Add zucchini mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Fold in nuts and chips- don't overmix.

4. Scoop into lined muffin tins (much easier then greasing and cleaning them after!), about 1/3 cup each.  Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment