The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes

Nine-foot square screen full of drying garlic.  Yum.
It's been about 2 weeks since I've posted to this blog. Call me a slacker if you wish, but its been for a good reason. Mostly, I haven't been cooking... Duh.  For the first week, we were on vacation with family in Vermont. What a lovely green state!  Besides mostly good weather and nice accommodations, I had the good fortune to not have to think for the entire trip.

My son referred to these as 'bacon.'
Yup, it was a thought-free vacation. We got up in the morning and made our own breakfast from cereals, yogurts and such, or the kids helped my aunt cook. Then, the family gave us a plan for the day, and encouraged me to make a minor decision- which of two things to do first, or which of two restaurants to go to for lunch. After getting dressed, we all loaded up into our cars and followed my aunt and uncle to our chosen destination. I didn't even have to navigate for Mr. Unwired!
One of my kids took great pleasure in buying feed and sprinkling it out for the chickens.
After the days' adventures, we would go back to the house where the kids would play, hors d'oeuvres and cocktails were served, and then dinner appeared. My aunt is a wonderful cook, my uncle serves great drinks and the days just melted away.... 

Long story short, I didn't cook that week. And after coming back, I haven't been very motivated, so we've had a lot of simple meals like pesto pasta (prepared pesto sauce from Trader Joes), steak on the grill, and the like.  Except for one night, we ate what I call recipe-free dinners.

That one night was delicious. 

Mr. Unwired's car had to go to the dealer for some warranty work, and the drive to pick it up took longer than expected. My planned meal needed 30 minutes to prepare, which would have resulted in ultra-cranky kids. Needed something faster, but what?  The kids decided that 'breakfast for dinner' would fit the bill, so we had blueberry pancakes that night.

This recipe is my masterpiece. As a child, I made pancakes from scratch using the recipe from my mom's copy of Joy of Cooking. In making them as an adult, I didn't have that recipe, so I was forced to experiment. This recipe is the result- it was also the one that drove me to start documenting my recipes in a database, so that I would have them for ever and ever and ever!

In our house, one kid measures/mixes the wet ingredients in the 4 cup measuring cup, and the other does the dry in the large mixing bowl. One kid pours wet into dry, and the other gets to add the blueberries. Cooking with twins requires a lot of compromises, but with this recipe, it works beautifully!

Blueberry Pancakes
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 Tbs baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs wheat germ
1/2 Tbs cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbs sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 Tbs oil
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1  cup frozen or fresh blueberries

1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix wet ingredients in a large measuring cup, then add to dry ingredients.

2. Mix until combined. Add blueberries, and let sit for a few minutes to activate the leavening-- the batter will have a few bubbles. Once that happens, scoop the better out onto a hot, oiled griddle and cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment