The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Pork Tenderloin with Chutney

Sorry, I've neglected you, my faithful readers.  I've been working on some new recipes, and finally  finished any one today.  Yeah me!

A couple of months ago,  I made a list of 'orphaned foods' in my fridge.  These are those half empty jars or lonely items languishing in the freezer.   Cranberry chutney was on it.   This recipe created for the chutney came out perfectly the first time -- the kids even asked for extra sauce!


The funny thing about the orphaned foods is that after I find or create a recipe that uses them, I want to make the new recipe all over again.  Which means I don't thin out the herd of foods massing in my house, but merely create more need for them.  Let's just say that there are a lot of condiments in my fridge, and blogging about them isn't helping reduce my grocery list.


Ah well... it's all in the name of good food, right?

The second time I made this, I found that cranberry chutney isn't available year-round.  I used mango chutney instead, and found it to be just as good with pork.  Trader Joes had a mango chutney, which ended up being a bit spicy; I used a mix of mango chutney and apricot jam to reduce the sharp flavor of the chutney, while still preserving the tangy flavor.  It was delicious, and not at all sweet.

Wish I'd taken pictures-- this one even looked good!  But we were hungry... and you know the rest.

Pork Tenderloin with Chutney
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup diced onions
1 pork tenderloin
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup chutney (or a mix of chutney and jam)
1/4 cup wine
1 Tbsp butter

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the tenderloin in half to make it easier to maneuver in the pan, and season it with salt and pepper.

2. In an ovenproof skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat.  Add onions, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.

3.  Place tenderloin in pan and allow to sear on each side (about 4 minutes per side).   

4. After searing the second side, coat tenderloin with chutney, and place pan in oven.  After ten minutes, remove pan from oven, flip, add wine and baste with the pan sauce.  Return to oven and cook until pink in the middle, an additional 15-20 minutes in the oven.

5. When done, place pan with sauce over medium high heat.  Add butter, and allow to thicken.  If the sauce is too thick, add additional wine.  Serve with pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment