The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thirsty Thursdays- Smoothies!

While I love to give my kids a choice of what to eat for breakfast (and have even developed a written menu of appropriate items), it's sometimes hard to make a decision first thing in the morning.   Once again, credit goes to my red-headed friend for the idea of themed breakfasts.

This blog's title ruins the surprise, so you already know that we have christened the day 'Thirsty Thursday'.  Here's how we make smoothies in my house:

Basic Smoothie Recipe
1 cup yogurt
1/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp chia seeds (undetectable, and good for protein, fiber and Omega 3s)

Then, choose from at least one:
7 frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
or.... another frozen fruit?  Maybe mango or blueberries?

My $50, ten year old blender does not handle ice well, but works fine blending frozen fruit.  This recipe contains a serving of fruit, which is more than my kids get most mornings- yogurt and milk supply calcium and protein, the cocoa adds anti-oxidents... and it's yummy. 

Use whatever brand/flavor yogurt your family likes.  My kids prefer it with bananas; I've been told that if you use a dark colored fruit, like blueberries, you can also add powdered spinach in order to up your intake of leafy greens.  Like the flax seeds, the powdered greens don't add to the taste of the smoothie, but they do add to the nutritional content.

Drink up!


1 comment:

  1. New version.... use 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 Tbsp chia seeds, 1 cup frozen berries (I use a blend that includes raspberries, cherries and blueberries) and 3/4 cup almond milk. Yum... and you don't taste the spinach!

    ReplyDelete