The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Raspberry Jam Oat Bars

A quick post to share an excellent healthy treat.  I found this recipe Raspberry Jam Oat Bars at Weekly Bite, one of the blogs I follow.  With an RSS reader on my phone (I use Feedly to aggregate the posts, and GReader to display them on my handset), I can catch up on blogs at stop lights, in line at Starbucks, and during boring meetings (yes, that means you, "Mr. Seven-Point-Font" on the slides!).

This one is very simple-- all the ingredients (except the jam) go into a blender or food processor.  Mix for 30 seconds or so until the ingredient look crumbly and well integrated, then pour into a prepared pan.

The things I did different from the posted recipe (because there's always something):

  •  I used an 8-inch round silicone pan so that I did not need to oil or line it.  The bars ended up thicker than in the original recipe, with a solid layer of bar on top of the jam. 
  • I used strawberry jam, as that's what I had.
  • Not having whole wheat pastry flour, I used white whole wheat flour in equal proportions.  And I swapped out 3 Tbsp or so of the flour for wheat germ (more fiber and protein, and a nice nutty flavor).
  • Thinking chia seeds could be added next time, for more fiber, protein and Omega-3 goodness.  Maybe a few Tbsp in place of some of the oatmeal? 
Let me know what you substitute to make the recipe yours.  I'm committed to making jam this summer, and think that this recipe will be a great way to use it!


No comments:

Post a Comment