The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fish and Corn Pie

Not the most creative of names, but a really yummy recipe.

It all started with an email from Bon Appetit with this recipe for Fish and Corn Cakes with Tartar Sauce.  I'm not a big fan of tartar sauce, so that part got ditched.  And the recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs fish.... I only had a pound.  And many of the reviews said that the cakes fell apart, so I planned to increase the eggs, which serve as glue in the recipe.

You know, a normal recipe for me.  Find something online/in a book and make myriad changes.

But the last change was the best!  Wait for it.....

Bake it in a pie pan, not on the stove!

You see, I love making pancakes on weekend mornings.  But at the end of the day, when I'm tired and hungry, I don't want to stand at the stove flipping burgers (or fish cakes) while the rest of the family either eats without me, or stomps around, tired and hungry.  Changing this into a pie removed that burden, and got all of dinner (and the chef!) to the table at the same time.  Yay!  I will be adapting my Black Bean Burger recipe in the same way...  Bean Pie!

Note, the fish needs to be cooked BEFORE the pie can be assembled.  I oil a baking sheet, lay the filets on the pan, sprinkle with Old Bay, then bake at 350 degrees until cooked (around 15 minutes).  The Old Bay gives the flavor a boost, but can be omitted or substituted if you like.

Fish and Corn Pie (serves 4)
1 lb skinless firm white fish, cooked and broken into small pieces
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 large eggs
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
2 Tbsp fresh chives or green onion
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), plus 2 Tbsp to sprinkle on top
1/2 tsp each Old Bay, salt and pepper (omit Old Bay if you seasoned the fish when preparing)
lemon wedges for serving (optional)

1.  Heat over to 400 degrees.
1.  In a bowl, whisk together eggs, mayo and lemon zest until well combined.    Stir in fish, corn, chives/green onion, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and salt and pepper.
2.  When combined, pour into greased pie pan.  Sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs on top of pie, pressing them lightly into pie.
3.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until topping is browned slightly and pie is cooked through.

Note:  this recipe can be made gluten free by swapping panko crumbs for any GF crumbs.

Bon appetit indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment