The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sweet Potato Chili

I'd been looking to try a sweet potato chili for a while. A few good candidates have surfaced, but this one rose above the rest. 

Why?  First, no meat.  That means I can make it for Mr. Unwired's friend.  Didn't know what to make for this week's jam session anyway. 

Second, it cooks in the slow cooker. Like my never-ending desire to instill independence in my children, I like my meals to cook themselves. 

Third, all the ingredients were in the house.   And that's all she wrote... off to the kitchen!

Sweet Potato Chili, before topping with plain yogurt and green onions.
 This turned out pretty well. I was intending to serve it to the kids for dinner, by the spices were too sharp. I used only 1/2 Tbsp chili powder and only a small (15oz) can of tomatoes with chili peppers (the other 15oz was just tomatoes). Next time, I'll cut the chili powder out entirely.  With the blast of heat from the chili powder and peppers, I didn't notice the cocoa powder.  It should have rounded out the spice panel, instead of being wiped off the flavor map.  Another reason to decrease/eliminate the chili powder (funny, this is my 'cooler' chili powder-- I had to throw out the cayenne pepper as even a dash was too much for most recipes!)  I also used red pepper instead of green since that was what I had. Green pepper, with its stronger flavor and contrasting color would have been a better choice. 

I'm hopeful that with these adjustments, I'll be able to introduce this to the kids, then dial the spices back up a bit to find a happy medium- flavorful, colorful and yummy for all.  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment