The Author....

My photo
I am a mom to twin boys, full-time employee of a telecommunications company and wife to a professional musician. I work, do yoga, cook and try to squeeze in DIY projects and spending time with friends.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Best Parenting Moment Ever

At bedtime, one of my boys asked me to read to him.  He's been doing this for about a week now.  And although he's almost ten, he wants to hear the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.  We read them together when he was younger (five?  six?).  Like me, he's a fan.  We started this time with The Long Winter, because it's cold here now.  We have no risk of being cut off from civilization and starved like the folks in that story, but it's cold enough to relate, and we can certainly take a moment to be grateful for the warm beds and good movies.

Anyway, we finish the chapter and talk for a minute.  At some point, he puts his finger in gun position and points them at me, asking 'what would you do if someone did this?'

Mom:  Wow, I hope that never happens to me.  But if they wanted my phone or watch, I would give it to them.
Boy:  Because they're expensive?
Mom:  Because I can get another phone or watch.  If they wanted to hurt you, I'd have to fight back, because I can't get another you.
Boy:  (puts his gun down and launches into me with a huge hug)

Best
Parenting
Moment
Ever.

I love you too, Boy.

Remind me of this when he's a miserable, smelly teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment